Total Pageviews

Monday 18 November 2013

Northumberland Lesser Grey

I decided to head up to Northumberland this morning because even though it would be an expensive trip on my own the Lesser Grey Shrike at Long Nanny near Beadnell I thought was worth it, only my third one in this country and the last one being 19 years ago. The bird was favouring a small field adjacent to the Car Park at the High Newton end and was showing well right from me getting there, it performed really well and I thouroughly enjoyed it for a couple of hours, there were also a couple of Stonechats in the dunes and a look out to sea found a Great Northern Diver, plus Common and Velvet Scoters, Long Tailed Ducks etc. After lunch I headed off to Stag Rocks, Bamburgh where there had been a Bonapartes Gull yesterday, no sign of that today but there were even more Sea Ducks here including a superb drake Long Tailed, not close enough for a photo regrettably, also a Red Necked and up to 10 Slavonian Grebes. Nipped to nearby Budle Bay next but it was fairly quiet just a small group of Whooper Swans, a few Wigeon, a couple of Little Egrets and a Buzzard perched on a dead tree, I then finished the day at Seahouses Harbour but apart from the usual Gulls there was nothing better than a small group of Eiders.
the star performer








Beadnell Bay

Long Nanny Stonechat
Bamburgh Castle


Stag Rocks Stonechat

Budle Bay

Gulls at Seahouses


Eiders in the Harbour



No comments:

Post a Comment