Total Pageviews

Tuesday 8 July 2014

An afternoon on the Moors

I spent Sunday afternoon up on the Moors starting at Tranmire Bogs in Wheeldale, a pair of Whinchat were showing well but it never got bright enough to entice the hoped for Dragonflies out, I was initially going to drop out of the top end of the dale then head back down to Fen Bog but after the heavy overnight rain the streams were very swollen and the tarmac surface of one of the fords I needed to cross was being washed away so I decided not to risk it and turned back and headed over to Bransdale instead, I just went to the Redstart site hoping to get some photos but they must have fledged and moved on already, a juv and adult Grey Wagtail showed well by the little stream though and a Golden Ringed Dragonfly entertained for a while in the now nice late afternoon sun, even resting on my trouser leg at one point.
swollen streams


Bog Asphodel

Water Cress

Bell Heather





lots of these little Moths with only a latin name
Catoptria margaritella

came across this roosting Small Heath


juv Grey Wagtail

being fed





lots of Ringlets when the sun came out but looking rather tatty now

Golden Ringed Dragonfly, I'd been hoping for one at Tranmire Bogs
so it was a nice bonus to get one in Bransdale

devouring a Bee



the essence of summer, sun shining through the trees

No comments:

Post a Comment