Total Pageviews

Thursday 23 April 2015

Local update: signs of Spring

Well I've rather neglected the Ings this last couple of years but I'm getting back into it this year, to start with though a visit on the 10th April to another local York reserve, Strensall Common, got me off to good start, primarily looking for Wood Lark after half an hour or so one flew in and started singing from a tree near to me which then prompted another into song some distance away and while scanning to try and find that one I picked up three large birds flying towards me low over the trees, as they circled and gained height I was amazed to see they were Common Cranes, made my day. Back to the Ings and another good find was a male Ring Ouzel on the Clifton Rugby Club fields on the 14th, there's been a good passage so far which has included one or two inland birds but this is only my second York area record plus a patch tick, otherwise the summer visitors slowly trickle in, everywhere's turning green and Butterflies are on the wing.
Blackcaps back in good numbers

the Sand Martins checking out their holes


Blackthorn Blossoming

Cowslips

remnant of the old Orchard that used to be on Clifton Park

Cuckoo flower

and Speedwell

Orange-tip

No comments:

Post a Comment