Total Pageviews

Sunday 12 June 2016

Reeds, Reeds and more Reeds

I was out yesterday (Saturday) and as a showery day was forecast I decided on Blacktoft Sands, up to six Cetti’s Warblers were holding territory, a few Bearded Reedlings were flitting about, there was plenty of Harrier action and a Barn Owl was out hunting but it was generally fairly quiet. I headed for home late afternoon via the LDV to look for Hobby, dropped into North Duffield Carrs first which proved quite fruitful (may be revealed later) but there were no Hobbies seen, then went on to Bank Island, none there neither but another Barn Owl was out hunting.



Blacktoft Barnie

Bank Island Barnie


a successful hunt

I was out again this morning and went to Old Moor to try for the returning Little Bittern, yet another Barn Owl was seen, it flew across the approach road as I turned in, I joined the assembled birders and learned the very early risers had had some good views of it in some willows before it had flown into the small reedbed next to the Bittern hide which was now being staked out, after a while it flew out but I was unfortunately in the wrong place and my view was blocked by some bushes although I did hear it “barking” a bit later and managed to get decent views of its larger cousin and then the morning was soon over, maybe I'll get another chance.
hiding in the reeds

it eventually popped its head up

No comments:

Post a Comment